Linksys Technical Support
Linksys is widely known for providing some of the best networking hardware to the users. Their routers are well known for their reliability and speed. The Linksys routers also contain a load of advanced features in the web based interface where the user can configure their network that is most suitable to their needs. The users are required to initially login to the routers so that the user can configure their network to suit their needs. With the help of these features, the user can personalize their network so that the user’s network and its shared data are secured. The user can simply login using www.linksyssmartwifi.com web domain and accessing the admin login page for the Linksys router.
After successfully logging in to the router, the user can configure their network further. The user can even change the default username and password to something personalized so that it denies the unauthorized users access to the user’s network. The user must also update the firmware as it is highly recommended to make sure that the router stays compatible with the latest media devices. The latest firmware also makes sure that the router keeps working in the optimum condition and that the security on the router is kept up to date.
Here, we will help the users understand the configurations of their router by providing the detailed step by step instructions for setting up and logging in to the router initially, to reset the router, to change the username and password and to update the firmware of the Linksys routers.
Step by step instructions to setup and login to the Linksys routers:
1. Connect the modem to the WAN port located at the back of the router via an Ethernet cable.
2. Now, connect the desktop computer or laptop to any of the four internet ports of the router using another Ethernet cable.
3. Double check all the connections made properly.
4. Reboot all the devices and wait for the reboot to finish.
5. Now, open an internet browser and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar. Press enter.
6. The admin login page will appear asking the user to enter the default credentials regarding their router.
7. The default username is either “admin” or left blank and the default password is “admin” for most of the Linksys routers. The username and password are case sensitive.
8. Now, the user will have successfully logged in to the router.
After successfully logging in to the router, the user can further configure their router as they desire and use the advanced features to personalize their network from there.
Step by step process to reset the Linksys routers:
The router can be reset if the user either forgets or loses the information of the router. Take note that if the user chooses to reset the router, their personalized settings will get reset too. Here are the steps to reset the Linksys router:
- Locate the Reset button at the back of the router. It might be labeled as Reset or Restore Factory Default Settings. The option may vary for different router models.
- Using a small pin or something similar, press and hold the reset button for about ten seconds.
- After holding the reset button for ten seconds, release the button. The LED lights at the front of the router will start blinking. Once the power light becomes stable, the router will have reset.
- Do not reset the router again and again. It might corrupt the firmware of the router.
- Do not unplug the router from its power source during the reset process.
Step by step process to change the username and password for the router:
- 1.Open any internet browser and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar. The admin login page for Linksys will appear.
- 2.Enter the default credentials to login to the Linksys router.
- 3.The web based interface will display.
- 4.Click the Administration option. Now go to the Management option.
- 5.There, the user will see the Network Name (SSID) and the Network Key (passphrase) option with respective fields below them.
- 6.There, the user can enter the new desired information in both the fields.
- 7.Make sure click the save option to implement the changes made.
Now, the username and password for the router will have been changed successfully. The user will have to reconnect all their devices to the network using the new username and password.
- Do not enter any sensitive information within the username as nearby devices can still read the username.
- Make sure not to share the password with everybody.
Step by step process to update the firmware of the Linksys router:
The firmware of the router needs to be updated in order to make sure that the router is able to connect to the latest media devices. This way, the user doesn’t have to go around buying a new router every time they choose to buy a new media device. The firmware also makes sure that the security on the router is also kept up to date. Here are the steps to update the firmware of the Linksys routers:
1.Go to the Linksys Support Site on the computer that is connected to the Linksys routers. Download the latest firmware for your router in the desired location. Make sure that the model number and the firmware version are correct as different firmware version or the firmware of different model can corrupt the router.
- 2.Now, open any internet browser and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar. Press enter.
- 3.You will be prompted to enter the default information of the router. The default username and password are “admin” for both the cases. The username and password are both case sensitive.
- 4.You will be then taken to the Setup page of the router. Click Administration and then click the Firmware Update option.
- 5.Click Browse to search the previously downloaded file.
- 6.Locate the previously downloaded file from the computer. Click Open.
- 7.Click the Start Update button to begin the update process.
It is recommended that the update process isn’t interrupted anyhow as it can damage the router and even render it useless.
- 8.After the update is successful, click Continue.
- 9.Reboot the router so that the changes can be made properly.
- *Do not unplug the router from its power source as it can corrupt the router’s firmware and might even render the router useless.
*Do not interrupt the firmware update process anyhow.